Apple Tree to Pair With Harvest Gold Crabapple

thaprankstaNovember 14, 2013

I realize most people do this the other way around. They select an apple tree and then attempt to find a crabapple (or another apple) that will help to pollinate it. However, I have a Harvest Gold Crabapple (or so it was labeled :-P) that came from Lowes and I started to think if it might be a good idea to plant an apple tree since I have a viable pollinator and space.

The problem is the only thing I've read is that crabapples bloom for longer periods than apples. I do not know how long the bloom period is exactly and what apple pollination groups (early spring, mid spring, late spring) I should be able to successfully pair with it

Does anyone have any experience with Harvest Gold and other apples? Or the expected bloom length of crabapples?

Thanks.

This post was edited by thapranksta on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 13:47

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

With apples you normally don't have to worry about pollination if you're in town or there are other trees up to a mile away.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 9:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thapranksta

I have no idea if anyone else nearby has an apple tree or what varieties they have if they do. So I thought I'd make sure by getting an apple that the crabapple could pollinate.

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Wanted: Black Ice plum --) swap
Edit This post was edited by Gardening_Maestro on Tue,...
Gardening_Maestro
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™