Pear tree pollination

joneswakNovember 29, 2011

I recently moved to a house in Jamaica Plain, MA (right next to Boston). I cleared out a few scrub trees and would like to plant a fruit tree in that new space. I have a pear tree ~50 feet from where the new tree will go, but this pear tree has never produced fruit. I don't know if it is a flowering non-fruit bearing tree, or a fruit bearing tree that has never been pollinated.

Two questions:

- How do I identify the existing pear tree? I will link to a photo of the tree in a follow-up post.

- Can a non-fruit bearing pear tree pollinate a fruit bearing pear tree?

Thanks!!

Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GrassRootsSupporter

Hi. I'm not sure how to ID your tree. Perhaps you could take a picture of it, and some leaves/blossoms off of it in the spring and bring them to your local nursery.

I found some information for you about pollination on: http://flowerworldusa.com/info/fruit_trees.html If you go to this site, there are links to charts about which tree type pollinates which.

They say,
"All pear trees will pollinate each other except Seckel and Bartlett varieties. Pear trees should be planted close to each other, within 100 feet or so. Some early blooming European pears will cross-pollinate with late blooming Asian pears. Combination pear trees, with more than one variety grafted onto one stem are also available and a good option for small yards."
and for Asian Pears:
"Asian pears need to have another variety as pollizer. Nijiseiki and Shinseiki are somewhat self fertile in warmer climates. Most varieties will pollinate each other. Late blooming Asians will cross-pollinate with early blooming Europeans. Combination trees are available also and are great for gardens with limited space"

I hope this helps. :)

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 9:26AM
Michael

One way to help narrow down the possibilities is to keep notes about the tree's development during the upcoming year. I.E. bud swell, first bloom open, full bloom, petal fall and so on. That information compared to the same information from trees growing in an area whose climate is similar to yours could at least eliminate some possibilities. If your tree is a micro-climate all bets are off on my idea.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 12:09PM
gonebananas_gw

I think one or two common pear selections are pollen sterile and cannot pollinate anything.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
The legendary Angelcot tastes blah
For those of you who have not heard of angelcots, they...
Scott F Smith
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Sponsored Products
Brunklaus Amsterdam | Shady Tree Pendant - 38
$325.00 | YLighting
Eurofase Filigree 21 " Wide Chrome Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
Palm Tree Vase Table Lamp
$147.95 | Bellacor
Transcendental II Canvas Print
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Jill Rosenwald Pear 5' x 8' Flatweave
Home Depot