Blueberries o.k. near cedar trees?

krikitNovember 29, 2008

I've tried to search on this but didn't find anything. I have lots of cedars on my property, and found out the hard way that serviceberry trees don't do well near a cedar. Today I moved the serviceberry further from the cedar in hopes that it will not get rust. Now I have a very nice, sunny planting spot about 20' from a large cedar. I say this is a nice planting spot because the soil has had the advantage of mulch breaking down over a few years that seems to have improved it greatly. I'd like to put a blueberry in this spot, but am wondering if they are susceptible to cedar rust. If so, can you recommend a fruiting tree or shrub that would not be bothered by the cedar tree? Thanks in advance.

Frances

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

We have a 30 foot tall cedar tree next to our garage, and I have been growing blueberry shrubs within 5 feet for several years with little or no problem. I also have two shrubs that are located about 12 feet from the same tree, and they have been growing for 10 years. Every year I find a few blueberry leaves affected by rust, and I prune them off and put them in the compost pile. So far, this has not been a significant issue for me, I have more problems keeping these shrubs happily hydrated through the August drought.

Bookmark   November 29, 2008 at 5:51PM
krikit

Thanks for the info! - This is exactly what I needed to know :-)

Frances

Bookmark   November 30, 2008 at 1:32PM
kiwinut

Blueberries are not affected by cedar rusts, so that is not an issue. However, having lots of cedars in Tennessee means you likely have thin limey soils with neutral pH, which are very bad for growing blueberries. I would check the pH before planting. The years of mulch composting may have created a suitable soil, but if not, you may need to acidify the soil.

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 3:02PM
ericwi

If you have hard water, that results in lime deposits in your teakettle, it will be necessary to use rainwater on your blueberry shrubs, not tap water. We have hard water, our city wells draw water from the limestone formations that lie below southern Wisconsin. Every August I am out in the yard, running tap water into a bucket, and adding vinegar to lower the pH, before watering the blueberry shrubs.

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 5:41PM
gardenmama-123

Wow! I wish I'd found this link last spring! I made the assumption that cedars ACIDIFY the soil simply because they are evergreen and I have one growing happily with a couple of pines out back. I planted a little blueberry bush about 15ft from the other cedar and happily watered all summer with hard water straight from the tap and haven't been able to figure out why it died! Ithought maybe one of my small ones 'helped' and watered it with something noxious. I definately need to study things a little more in-depth even if this bush was an impulse purchase.

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 10:26PM
Michael

The bunnies around my place used to eat blueberry the twigs in the winter. The little buggers also like to hide under my low-growing juniper, beware. I had to resort to putting chicken wire around the blueberrys in the fall to stop the chewing varmints.

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 7:26PM
jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)

How about planting blueberries close to a fir tree, and even using some of the fir tree branches to block the hot summer sun? Can I assume the ground around the fir tree(50+ years old) will be on the acid side...plenty of fir needles there.

Bookmark   December 23, 2008 at 5:20AM
presto2011_ymail_com

I have an aunt that swears that i can mulch my blueberries with cedar bowes. I have never heard of this. I have heard that cedars droppings are toxic to plants. Any advice.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™