is this pruning method on fruit trees OK?

vieja_gw(z7NM)November 11, 2013

I have read that when pruning fruit trees (ours are dwarf) that the branches on the inside should be pruned so that the inside area is open to the sun. That would mean the main trunk should be cut back to let the side branches grow up & leave an open space in the middle. Does this sould correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

It certainly is a way to prune trees dwarf or otherwise. Dwarf and fruit tells me little. A dwarf cherry grows to 12 feet tall. You can also use pruning to control size. You could keep a peach tree to 5 feet tall for a non-dwarf. That's extreme, 8 feet would be better. But it's up to the pruner as to what size. Rootstock, dwarfing or otherwise matters little.

Anyway yes, you are pruning to an open center. It is an excellent way to prune. All my trees are pruned that way.
With dwarfs say a genetic dwarf peach, you don't have to, but it allows light, and air circulation. I probably would prune it that way. You can prune for a central leader, modified central leader, or open center. Advantages and disadvantages to each method. And the advantages and disadvantages vary with what fruit type. Other pruning methods exist too.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 17:54

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
how to prevent fruit tree borers
I've lost a few trees (peach and plum) to borers and...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™