New Dwarf Nectarine Tree - Questions

kassargent(6a)November 8, 2013

Hi all! I received my new leprechaun dwarf nectarine tree from Willis Orchards today! Just a couple of questions for you experts, as this is my very first fruit tree.

The tree is about 4 feet tall, grafted at 18 inches and is currently a naked root ball waiting for planting. I'm in zone 6a and plan on planting it into a large pot.

How large of a pot should I put my tree in? Again, I am in zone 6a- our temperatures rarely fall below 0F. Should I pot the tree and leave it outside all winter? I know fruit trees require chilling hours, I'm just unsure of what is best for this particular tree.

Thanks guys!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kassargent(6a)

Also, what kind of potting soil mix would be best? The pots I'm currently looking at are 16"Hx16"W, would that be large enough?

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 5:43PM
Bradybb(wa8)

Leprechaun Nectarine.I haven't heard of that one.18 inch at the graft.That seems kind of high,but oh well,maybe not.
I'd put it in a fairly large container,probably at least a #10 to #15 nursery pot size.
When planting in containers.I use mostly Pine and or Fir bark mulch,Peat moss,Perlite in about a 60/20/20 mix.
It could be left outside in a sheltered area or the pot could be put in the ground and some leaves piled around it.It could also be in an unheated garage. Brady

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 8:44PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Brady gave excellent advice, and I agree. It is exactly what to do. I just planted a few days ago in ground a Weeping Santa Rosa from Willis orchards. Nice looking specimen!
Very well packed. I'm in 6a too. One day I will buy a dwarf peach. i saw a few from Zaiger, and a couple actually have top rate fruit. Farmer Fred has a radio show out of CA and his favorite peach is a dwarf. Honey Babe. Placed in the top 100 in the DWN taste tests.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™