Persimmons in a Pot - what rootstock is best?

mk-in-ohioNovember 9, 2012

I am pretty sure that I will be using the last spot on the south side of my house for a Nikita's Gift persimmon this spring. I would like to have one non-astringent but in my area I would have to provide winter protection.

I am wondering - if I chose a dwarf variety like Izu or Ichi, could I grow one in a very large pot? Would it have a sigificant amount of fruit? I could leave the pot in my garage during the coldest part of winter.

I was going to purchase the Nikita's Gift from Burnt Ridge. They also have Izu, but their Asians are on kaki rootstock. Could that work in a pot with the long tap root, or would I be better off with lotus or virginiana?

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

My buddy had one in a pot this year and his fruit is just as big as mine in-ground. I think this is only the second year in the pot and already about 15 fruit. This was a Eureka from Womack's nursery. I've grown many other fruits in pots and rootstock has no affect that I can tell. Getting the soil mix in the pot right is more important. I've never used bigger than 15 gallon pot and it's worked fine. Eureka is a small tree even in the ground.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 6:37PM
Biomed(6)

Try to buy your Asian persimmons with D.Virginiana rootstock for cold hardiness. One green world have Nikita s gift on D.V., Stark bros also have Asian persimmons on D.V., or Edible landscaping, or Just fruits&Exotics.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 6:46PM
mk-in-ohio

Thank you Fruitnut and Biomed - I was afraid kaki and d.v. might not work due to their long tap roots.

Fruitnut - interesting about the Eureka - 15 fruits the second year in the pot is impressive. Is it an early or late ripener?

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 7:59PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

mk:

It's pretty late. I just picked mine and none are ripe yet. Hope they will ripen in the frige this winter. Our warm weather season is probably at least two months longer than yours. It's still 70F here right now but that's way warmer than normal. Supposed to get our first frost the next couple of days.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 9:40PM
mk-in-ohio

Sounds like it definitely wouldn't ripen here. Thanks for the good info, Fruitnut.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 12:00AM
gonebananas_gw

I am beginning to eat a moderate number of Asian persimmons from young trees in 25 gallon pots. I know at least some and probably most are on D. virginiana. Persimmons seem fairly tolerant as to cobbled-together potting soil (especially compared to such "fussy" trees as pawpaw). I use mostly ground pine bark and a little dolomite for Ca, Mg, and pH, sometimes with perlite, Sphagnum peat, or vermiculite. I do use a complete fertilizer though (citrus type, with iron and trace metals).

I like the light more-coarsely granular soil when I have to move the trees. I let them go a bit dry first and they are then not too heavy.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 10:49AM
mk-in-ohio

Gonebananas - Thanks for the potting mix info - hopefully by keeping the mix light I can successfully move the tree in and out of the garage.

Good to hear that persimmons with d.v. rootstock can survive in pots and actually fruit. What varieties do you have? Do you think I am better off with a dwarf variety like Izu? Also considered Matsumoto as it is early ripening, too, and supposed to be cold hardy and productive. I think it is a bigger tree, though.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:01AM
mk-in-ohio

I talked to One Green World today. All their persimmons are on d.v., even the Asians.

Just wanted to share that in case someone else had that question.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:19PM
gonebananas_gw

I've eaten fruit from many different selections in 25-gallon pots, native and Asian (even 10-15-gallon pots for natives, though they are not intended to stay in these).

Even the strong-growing "Matsumoto."

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™