Callery rootstock by black walnut

Noogy(6 sw mi)November 15, 2013

Hi y'all,
I've moved to a new location and want to transplant my callery rootstock Hosuis nearby. I've read that the calleriana sp. is tolerant to juglone. I want it to thrive. What can I expect? Why have another limiting factor? I'm also itchin' to cut the damn thing down. If I want walnut I'll go down the road!
Noogy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Cut is down and in about 10 to 15 years the juglone will be gone and you'll be good! Takes that long for the massive root system to rot.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 6:54AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

I might biostimulate the area by spraying dilute molasses over the rootzone and then watering it in before a rain.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 8:16AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Actually some say as little as a year and it will be gone. I think it depends on how fast the roots die. A good way is to kill the roots with roundup first. Although all parts of the tree produce juglone, the roots are what usually remain so killing them first makes sense. I hate to kill any trees though. I'm glad I'm not faced with such an issue.
If you have an objection to using roundup, any other way to take out the roots would work. Even if you do nothing, my statement is probably way off. It seems it depends on environmental conditions on how much the juglone expresses itself. And who knows what to believe? I have heard 15 years to one year, so the jury is still out on this one.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 8:31AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

I'll be hookng up the 3" caliper seedlings to a chain and pulling them out by truck.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™