Persimmon seeds

napapen(ca 15)November 28, 2012

I usually find one or two fruits have seeds in them. However this year it is probably about 10%. I have one fruit that looks like a cross between the two trees I have. If luckily it has seeds, I plan to plant them. Does anyone have experience with seedlings and crosses between two.

Thanks Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Biomed(6)

Napapen, This is the way you get a new hybrids. They have been doing crosses like this in China for thousand of years.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 10:14AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Penny, you can't tell by the fruit whether it is a cross or not, the fruit is all from the mother's DNA. Still, most persimmon seeds are from cross-pollination since most persimmon varieties produce no male flowers.

Scott

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 5:56PM
cousinfloyd

Is it possible that really infrequent seeds in persimmons about through parthenogenesis -- if I even understand the word correctly -- i.e. without any pollen/pollination at all?

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 8:20PM
olympia_gardener(5)

"really infrequent seeds in persimmons"... I have eaten many persimmons with full of seeds... In fact, the sweetest and most flavorful persimmon I have had is the seeded ones.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 3:51PM
cousinfloyd

Sure, I would expect fully seeded fruits to come about from normal pollination, but it doesn't sound like napapen has a male tree, so it seems plausible that there isn't any pollinator within pollination distance at all. I suppose the other option is that there's a pollinator barely within pollination distance so that a few fruits are getting partially pollinated?

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 8:18PM
charlieboring

This is an aside from this topic, but of similar interest. In San Antonio TX I had a neighbor who planted giant sunflower next to his okra plants. He saved the seeds from his okra for the next year. These okra seeds grew okra plants about 15-20 feet tall. I believe that it was due to polination from the giant sunflower.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 6:19AM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™