Need help identifying this fruit

ellieb09November 26, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone recognizes this fruit. The tree has been growing in our back yard for somewhere around 50 years. It blooms continuously throughout the year and is a lovely home for honeybees.

I'm interested in identifying the plant because I want to know if its safe to eat. The fruits are hard like a nut, shaped like a kumquat, and have arils like pomegranates.

The tree is 14-16 feet tall and about 12 feet in diameter with a very defined canopy. The trunk isn't very wide (roughly 8-10 inches in diameter).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gooooone

Looks like a Pittosporum of some type. Are the flowers fragrant? The hard orange fruits with bright red seeds are a big feature of the species. My first guess would be Pittosporum revolutum but I'm only familiar with the Australian east cost species. Your leaves look a bit different.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 6:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb WA-Zone8

Yes,it could be Pittosporum Tobira,Japanese Mock Orange.In that case,the fruits are not edible. Brady

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Table Grapes for the Southeast
It seems that most of my table grapes have not survived...
trianglejohn
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™