first time mango tree.

mangoman23November 19, 2013

I everyone and thanks for accepting me into your forum :). Well here we go. I live in south florida and i bought my first mango tree from a nursery, its a glenn its about 4/5 feet tall. Well after putting it in the ground I noticed thats its lower than the ground itself and its not leveled at all! Im worried that this is a problem, I was told to keep the base ground level or even a inch above the ground. Its more like 6 inches lower than the ground in ordee to keep the base exposed if I level it out the base will be covered aswell. Is this ok?? Thank you. Oh and covered the area with mulch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

No, it's not okay.

Because you just planted it, you can dig it up then re-plant at the correct depth. If you intend to use the same hole. add soil in the bottom, then compact a base for the rootball. Even then, set the tree several inches too high because it *will sink.

Or, digging a new hole, even if alongside the old one, would be better as you can dig to the correct depth while retaining a firm base for the tree.

To help set the tree at the correct depth, use a broom handle or yard stick to measure the height of the rootball and the depth of the hole.

Planting a tad high is always better than planting too deep.

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 1:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treedan

i have read on a few diffrent websites that when mulching mango trees, not to mulch around the truck base, you much the drip line but soil is best around the base

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Crabapple tree with large apples - which one?
Hello all, When my son was stationed in Newport RI...
dancinglemons
Blueberry leaves turning brown
The leaves of one of my southern highbush (Snowchaser...
julia_scheidt
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™