Septic and blackberries

cath923November 16, 2013

We are unfortunately having to have our whole septic system replaced within the next two weeks. I have moved masses of perennials but still have a row of beautiful blackberries growing a couple of feet from the side of the new drain field, which is totally eliminating my vegetable beds. My reading suggests that is not a good plant to have there so I feel I need to move them as well. Winter has not yet set in but temperatures are getting closer to freezing. Should I attempt to dig them up now or should I wait? Or should I leave the plants and layer them to start new and then remove them completely once I have replacements? Or just leave them alone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Just leave them alone leave them there take look again after next season, sometime drain line over dry out soil. Blackberries die wet weather some drown in winter die when warm up because water kills roots.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 8:08PM
alan haigh

Why, you worried about roots clogging drainage?

I have planted orchards in drainage fields and clients suffered no consequence after 10 years but where I live there are usually large trees with roots extended into drainage fields anyway.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 6:48AM
cath923

We have to follow very stringent rules with our septic systems in this part of the world when we replace them. This means it is very expensive - $25,000 for a small house. So I don't want to allow anything to damage it! Since it is to the west of the berries and it appears they travel east when left to their own devices, I'm not too concerned about the roots. Just damage done by the contractors. Admittedly, these blackberries are weeds so will probably survive the experience!
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 6:39PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

I agree they are likely to survive, but those 15,000 pound or more bobcats running over the ground compressing the soil is enough to kill anything.

I assume they are reasonably extensive. If you can wait until they are dormant then do so---IF you can dig into the ground at that time of year. Otherwise consider digging up and temporarily potting two or three pots worth of rhizomes (root cuttings) and get them overwintering in a garage as a security precaution to plant them in the spring if necessary.. Hopefully they won't be needed, but....

Preserving a chance GOOD blackberry already proven in your environment is a smart thing to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: root cuttings

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
can you scrape off canker
i've read that when growing season is strong, such...
johndoug
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Brook Farm
$79.97 | Home Depot
Doggie Dooley 3000
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Braided Accent Rug: Brook Farm Winter Green 2' x 4'
Home Depot
Paula Deen Dinnerware Southern Rooster 4-Piece Stoneware Fruit Bowl Set - 58749
$17.99 | Hayneedle
Blackberry Napkin - Set of Six
$16.99 | zulily
Eco Terra Waterproof Speaker Case
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Portmeirion Pomona Classics Romantic Breakfast Cup and Saucer - Set of 6 - 49050
$210.00 | Hayneedle
Blackberry Wine Floral Sequin Throw Blanket
$29.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™