Izu Persimmon

ellachan(6a)November 6, 2012

Just ordered an Izu persimmon,im just wondering it will survive CT winter climate if plant it on the ground?thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Izu is consistently reported as being a solid zone 7 persimmon (hardy to at least 0). That means only coastal CT would be a safe bet for it in the ground WITHOUT protection. I'm wondering where in the state you are, and whether you are really a 6a based on the newest zone map. If so, you could still always wrap it in the winter, the way another poster, TonyTran does in his zone 5a. You should definitely check out his recent post about overwintering Asian persimmons.

You're so close to being in a warm enough zone for these persimmons, it would be a shame to grow it in a pot IMO.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:08AM
ellachan(6a)

Thanks for the response fab,actually im at 6b looked earlier.guess have to put some protection to it on its first winter or 2nd.Im planning to plant it on the ground.The one i ordered is grafted,how long before it fruit?

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 11:13AM
olga_6b

I grow Izu in zone 6b (Maryland)w/o any protection from year one. It does not have any winter dieback. I would give it a try in CT. I used to live in CT (also in 6b) before MD, don't think there is a significant difference in terms of how cold it is in winter. Should be fine w/o protection in my opinion.
Olga

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:25PM
ellachan(6a)

Thanks Olga,feel better now :)..though i wont be getting the plant till spring,ordered it from Burnt Ridges.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™