fertigation of fruit trees a good idea?

NorthGa7A(7b)November 3, 2012

Just purchased a drip irrigation system to water vegetable garden and the dwarf apple trees I have on order and I am considering fertigation for both. Anyone out there using fertigation for their fruit trees that can give some input?

Based on some reading, it appears that calculating how much fertilizer your trees are actually receiving can be tricky, plus the fertilizer injectors and the appropriate liquid fertilizers can be pricey, not sure if it is worth the extra work and expense.

Some folks at Cornell University seem to think so.

http://www.nyshs.org/pdf/fq/2004-Volume-12/Vol-12-No-1/Fertigation-of-Apple-Trees-in-Humid-Climates.pdf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

In your climate and if your soil has limited water holding capacity, irrigation might be good at least during dry spells. But in my opinion one thing wrong with store bought apples is that they tend to be over watered and over fertilized. This results in big fruit that isn't very sweet.

The commercial growers get paid on fruit size and appearance, not on taste. A quick read of your link said only a 15% increase in size. Not worth it for a home grower but a big part of the profit margin for a commercial orchard.

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™