How do I handle seeds

curtis(5)November 17, 2013

I have some seeds from pawpaw, cherry, peach, and oak acorns. (The cherry and peach are for rootstock, I know they don't grow true)

I have let them sit on the counter since eating the fruit.

I read randomly on the web for acorn is the past and had a low germination rate. So surely it was missing an important detail.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Drying/dessication can be the death knell for seed embryos in pawpaw seed and acorns. They need cold, moist stratification over winter. If yours have been sitting at room temp/humidity for 4-8 weeks, as I presume, they may no longer be viable.
Best bet will be to soak them for a couple of days, then put 'em to bed in the fridge with some moist peat or sawdust and hope for some to germinate, but don't get your hopes up.
Cherry & peach, I can't help you with - but mmost peach seedlilngs are pretty decent, with regard to fruit quality.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 8:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

I stick seed straight into the outdoor soil I want them to grow in- the sooner after eating the fruit the better. Let winter take care of stratification. Keep track of where you put them and the area weeded once they begin to sprout.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 5:33AM
More Discussions
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™