I snapped the trunk of my Flavor Delight Aprium

Steve357November 24, 2012

It has a trunk diameter of 1 and 3/4 inches, and has been in the ground 2 and a half years. It's been raining here and the ground is soft. It was leaning and I tried to straighten it up, I applied too much pressure and SNAP!!

It broke just above the graft union about 3/4 of the way through. I put it back together and tightly tied green nursery tape around it and the a layer of electrical tape over that. I am so mad at myself for breaking it!! I was expecting my first decent crop next spring. What do you think it's chances of survival are??

Thanks, Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

If you stake it well it should be OK. I'd consider putting three long T posts around the tree. Tie a loop from each post and around the tree. That way it will be supported from all sides. It will probably grow and produce next year.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 9:05PM
theaceofspades(7 Long Island)

I have had many such breaks, remove all the fruit next season so the tree can heal over. Stressed Apricot trees can get fatal cankers. It is remarkable to see when the tape is removed. The scar disappears in a couple more seasons.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:55AM
alan haigh

The wood is for strength, it is the cambium that keeps the tree alive. If the tree is less than 3/4 girdled I assume it will survive. I agree that you may be wise to remove the flowers as soon as they show next season and wait still one more year for fruit. The spot where it snapped will probably be stronger than ever by mid season if it didn't break because of an existing problem.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:24AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I won't remove all the fruit. Just don't see the need for that extreme a measure. Just thin a lot and early. This variety sets way too much fruit. Get the excess off early, that's a good idea every year.

Also I'd support the tree for several years. It won't be stronger than ever next year. It might not even completely heal over. And the broken wood will not magically mend together. It's the wood that holds up the tree and it has to grow more structural wood.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 10:18AM
Steve357

Thanks for the advice guys. I will stake it today and do a lot of thinning in the spring.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™