Leaves browning and dropping early

yawineyNovember 9, 2013

My Figs, Fuyu/Jiro Persimmon, and Mulberry all browned up about a week ago. Others in the area (mature ones) still either have leaves in the case of the fig, or are turning fall colors in the persimmon case.
My place is low lying and does get a bit colder, but I am hoping this is just because this is their first year. Of the Figs that did fruit, most did not ripen.
This did happen after the first frost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fascist_Nation(9b)

It is called Fall. Especially first and second year...they were either reared in greenhouses or someplace different form your climate. Irritating but one hopes they grow out of it.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 12:19AM
calistoga_al

Unfortunately your post gives no clue as to your location. Here in summer dry California, those fruits dry farmed are indeed going into early dormancy. This has been the driest year to date in history, and I think that is the reason for the early dormancy. Al

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 10:08AM
yawiney

Thanks to u both. I am in the north Bay area. Sebastopol. And yes, crazy dry but mature figs and perssimons that iv'e seen around here look like more gradual change. Not all brown and losing fruit. Hopefully it's just the combo of them being young and the dryer/colder climate.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™