what was your favorite pluot?

itheweathermanDecember 29, 2013

What was your favorite pluot of 2013?

My favorite pluot was flavor finale pluot, it was the most delicious piece of fruit that I ever tasted. It tasted like blend of the sweetest blueberries and raspberries ever grown on earth:).

Followed by: Dapple fire pluot (actually a peach x nectarine x plum hybrid), flavor grenade pluot, and finally flavor queen pluot.

And my favorite nectarine was Arctic Jay nectarine followed by Arctic queen nectarine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve357

Over the past few seasons, I've planted all 12 Pluots that are available for the home grower, ( just planted Dapple Supreme last week) Not all of them have produced yet, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be Flavor Grenade. I really like the apple like crunchiness and love the flavor.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 12:52PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Flavor King... some of the last fruits of the season for me. I let them sit a few days inside and they were just fantastic. I can see why many like this one. Its very late here (mid/late Sept), but we did have a very cloudy/cool spring so everything was behind by probably 2 weeks. I also like Dapple Dandy. Beautiful fruits. I prefer red fleshed plums/pluots it would seem.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 1:23PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Flavor Finale can be very good. But it can go from tart to mush in short order. Two years I've lost most of the fruit because I waited too long to harvest. It goes soft first on the tip but then the whole fruit can go soft very rapidly. When right it's one of the better pluot.

My favorites from earliest to latest are:

Flavor Supreme
Geo Pride
Flavor Grenade
Flavor King
Crimson Royale
Honey Punch
Flavor Treat

For a yellow pluot I like Emerald Drop better than Flavor Queen.

Dapple Dandy is OK but I don't especially like the flavor or texture and it's not very sweet. Some might like it picked early when still tart.

Splash is sweet but smallish and nothing special for flavor.

Varieties I tested but didn't like include Flavorosa, Flavor Royale, Ruby Kat, Flavor Heart, Black Kat, and Flavor Fall. All these have been discarded.

Like most fruit the eating quality can be more variable than one might imagine even on the same tree. I've had major differences in fruit off two trees the same year. Potted trees can have substantially different fruit than in-ground. So fruit bought in the store or at a farmers market doesn't tell one much about what you might grow yourself.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 20:11

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™