Grafting of flowering apple and pear trees

wilson14December 10, 2013

I recently purchased quite a few 5 gallon size flowering pear and crab apple trees for next to nothing. I would like to graft them over to fruiting trees. I can't decide if I should plant them and graft in their first year or wait until year two. I know I have run across a discussion of this subject before but can not remember what was suggested.

Graft immediately or no?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Containerized plants - go ahead and graft them the first year.
Conventional wisdom has said that with bareroot rootstocks, give 'em a year to get established - or bud late in the first growing season; but, I've transplanted bareroot rootstocks and grafted them the same year; some may or may not have made as much growth as they would have if I'd waited, but patience has never been my long suit.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 11:52AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

" but patience has never been my long suit."

That comment made me smile Lucky. Knowing your passion for nut growing and how long it takes to get nuts makes me think your statement above may be a bit of an exaggeration. Just a teeny bit?
:-)

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 8:21PM
wilson14

Awesome, I was hoping someone would tell me to graft them right away! I failed to mention this will be my first grafting experience. I have stalked the grafting forums of many sites for a while but never actually tried.
Would you cut down to the nursery graft level, a little higher than that, or high enough to have a nurse branch? I've watched videos where the cuts were made at all different places and am not sure what would be best for me.

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 1:41AM
More Discussions
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Wanted: Black Ice plum --) swap
Edit This post was edited by Gardening_Maestro on Tue,...
Gardening_Maestro
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™