Does anyone have this pruning book?

Bradybb(wa8)December 31, 2013

I saw this book on the Raintree Nursery website for about $23,but it can be bought used for about $10.It's entitled The American Horticultural Society Pruning & Training by Christopher Brickell and David Joyce.It received quite a few excellent reviews online.
I was wondering if people on this forum have looked at it and was or is it helpful?To me,$10 is not a bad deal,but I guess the library might be a place to peruse it first. Brady

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mes111(5b -Purling NY & 7b -Nassau County NY)

DITTO THAT

GOOD BOOK

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 11:57AM
OregonEd

I have it. Bought it on Amazon for $15-20 for a new paperback.

Good book. Get it.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 4:01PM
Bradybb(wa8)

Okay,thanks a lot.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 8:34PM
calistoga_al

Christopher Brickell and David Joyce are both British and this is essentially a Royal Society book. I have it and enjoy the many training methods which are a little different, but always keep in mind it is from a UK perspective. Al

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 10:04AM
alan haigh

I remember this book from years ago and as I recall it is close to useless in figuring how to prune fruit trees.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 2:20PM
mamuang_gw

H-man,

Could you please expand on "I recall it is close to useless in figuring how to prune fruit trees."?

I am about to order this book on line but I do value your opinion. Thank you.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 5:17PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

There's also this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moulton Pruning Video, with User Commentary

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 9:28PM
Bradybb(wa8)

Yes,thanks bboy.I saw that on Raintree's site also.I attended one of Gary's pruning workshop's earlier last year at Raintree's day of classes.He's very knowledgeable. Brady

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 10:21PM
alan haigh

Pruning is a very complex topic, one could easily write an entire book about pruning apple trees alone, partially because every apple variety has their own growth habit. A book written for general pruning of all woody perennials would have to be an encyclopedia to adequately address the issues of pruning fruit plants.

When I was trying to really understand pruning I found books such as Harris's book, "Arboriculture" on Prentice Hall far more useful in helping me understand the underlying principles of pruning than an illustrated "how to" book such as the one we are discussing.

Develop a basic understanding of tree physiology first of all. There are some free sources of this kind of info including this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: physiology of pruning fruit trees

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 6:05AM
Bradybb(wa8)

Thanks for responding harvestman and for including the link.I don't know if there is a one size fits all book or teaching aid.If there is,I haven't found it.But from a number of different sources,I think things can be gleaned that are helpful. Brady

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 11:53AM
alan haigh

Also, some people are better adapted to a visual guide while others need conceptual guidance. However an all purpose book about pruning all plants can only take you so far.

NAFEX has a free library for members which includes many old pruning books for fruit production. For the price of postage you can read about pruning all winter.

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 5:26PM
mamuang_gw

Thank you H-man for your responses and the link.

I'd also like to thank others for their input here.

I only have a few fruit trees and feel that pruning is quite complicated. To me, it's the most difficult part of growing fruit trees.

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 5:45PM
MrClint

mamuang, pruning and tending to full sized trees is an absolute nightmare. If you commit to pruning to maintain smaller sized trees from the outset, you will develop mad pruning skills very quickly. Pruning will eventually become second nature for you over time, whereas grafting takes a bit more skill.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 11:48PM
greenwitch(Sz19 SoCal)

OJT - learn by pruning XD

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™