Harvest dates for mulberries?

lsohDecember 5, 2012

When do Mulberries ripen? Specific knowledge of Illinois Everbearing, Girardi Dwarf, or Kokuso would be even more helpful. I'm in Northern Ohio zone 5 or 6, depending upon which map you use. But if you are in a different zone, it might be helpful if you could tell me harvest dates relative to other fruits. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Zone 6, southern west-central KY here - about 70 mi NW of Nashville, TN. Illinois Everbearing produces for about 6 weeks, from early June to mid-July.
Not sure about Kokuso - just have a branch or two of it grafted into a fenceline M.alba, and it's only been fruiting for a year or two, so I don't have a good handle on it.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

I think most of the variation in ripening times is along species lines, leaving most named cultivars grown in northern climates ripening around the same time, late June being the heart of mulberry season in every climate I've picked them (central valley of CA, desert SW, NE states, CO foothills). That said, Morus alba tends to ripen earliest (May in many places)and Morus nigra the latest(typically into August).

I've been wanting I.E. for a long time, but now that my Black Beauty M. nigras have come into bearing it's hard for me to get motivated to buy any other mulberries, since the latter is so much better than everything else I've tasted! It's also more cold hardy than most sources claim, but may need more sun and heat than Northern and Eastern locations have.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™