Shade tolerant berry bushes

charlieboringDecember 6, 2012

I have an area near my house that is shaded by the house and a large tree. I want to plant a shade tolerant berry bush. I need to keep it no taller than 4 feet. I am considering a cranberry bush, if I can find one that meets these requirements. If not how about a ligonberry? Any experience on this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Charlie,
I'm not sure about Cranberries,but Lingonberries will stay under four feet and will grow in partial shade.The one that may be better than these is Evergreen Huckleberry.It grows biggest in shade but fruits best with some sun.It always can be pruned to the desired height. Brady

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 12:01PM
charlieboring

Bradybb - Are the berries edible, tasty, etc?

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 12:06PM
Biomed(6)

I have a couple of honeyberry bushes in a real shaded area and they did just fine.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 12:08PM
Bradybb(wa8)

Charlie,
Yes they are edible.I planted one about a year ago in partial shade and it hasn't fruited yet.But I went hiking once and found some growing all around a small lake in Washington.They were quite good,like Blueberries.
I've read though,the taste can vary from tart to sweet,but mostly sweet. Brady

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 12:49PM
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

Raspberries handle the shade very well. You can tip them in mid-summer a couple of times to keep under 4 feet.

I also hear that gooseberries do well in shade. I will plant my first ones (yes, in mostly shade) in 2013, so next year at this time I'll have more experience to share.

I don't care for lingonberries. Never tried honeyberries -- they certainly sound tasty, don't they!

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 5:47PM
cousinfloyd

Any of the ribes (including gooseberries already mentioned) or eleagnus species (goumis...) come to mind, although I can't speak from hardly any experience yet.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 5:53PM
Bradybb(wa8)

I'm not sure why they're called Honeyberries,because the ones that I've tried,including some from two plants that I'm growing are fairly tart.I did try some sweetened juice at a One Green World tasting and it was very good.I also asked what was the sweetest one they sell and Blue Mist was recommended. Brady

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 6:46PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I ordered a Crandall current for this same reason. I looked up "Excellent" for shade on Edible Landscapings plant finder and it listed Crandall. They are out so I ordered it from One Green World. (Ribes odoretum)

Here is a link that might be useful: Crandall

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 8:20PM
melikeeatplants

I have a huckleberry, "thunderbird". The berries are tiny but very tasty. I'm glad I have it.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 8:35PM
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

Gooseberries, raspberries, and currants (black, white, or red) should all do fine in shade, though they're sweeter with more sun. My honey berries aren't that tasty, like very tart blueberries. My juneberries were much tastier, though the smallest bushes are still about 5' at maturity.

Crandall black currant would be a good bet, very delicious sweet berry, pretty yellow flowers in the spring (like forsythia), and red foliage in the fall. I've heard 5' tall at maturity, but you could prune a little.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:52PM
larry_gene

These are all fine suggestions, depending on how much fruit CharlieBoring expects from one shaded, smallish bush.

The most fruit you could expect from a 4-foot evergreen huckleberry bush is two cups, in a good year. They are very tasty in baked goods, you can stretch your supply by putting them in muffins, pound cake, etc.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 11:38PM
canadianplant

As far as I know, most "berry bushes" will handle some shade. Blackberries (brambles) are used to being in the forest generally speaking, same with currents and gooseberries. In fact, in warmer parts of the country theyd prefer shade of some sort.

Its just a matter of yeild. Most will yeild more in sun, but all will bear in semi shade (some more prolifically then others).

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:59AM
lucky_p

In zone 7(depending on where you are), at least some shade - particularly in the afternoon - is almost mandatory for gooseberries/currants.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 11:15AM

I just read on Nourse's website that Black currants produce better with 2 or more varieties. I have ordered a Crandall from One Green World. Will this need a pollinator? One Green World says currants are self-fertile.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 1:49AM
northwoodswis4

Lingonberries are more of a ground cover than a bush. Mine (several varieties) have hardly born any berries after several years, although they have spread. The ones I did get were sour if eaten raw, but they are supposed to have great health benefits. Maybe my soil is too sandy and poor or I don't have the ph right. Northwoodswis

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:24AM

Any thoughts on black current pollination?

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:19PM
aphahn(6a CO)

milehighgirl,
Ribes odoretum is native along the front range. It is all over the place here in Westminster. You probably have some close enough to pollinize the Crandall.

Also, it seems to do fine from almost complete shade to full sun.

Andy

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 12:52AM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™