Desert Gold still not dormant!

sunnyinsandiego(USDA 9/Sunset 20)December 31, 2013

Here I thought I had everything all planned out...

I have two peach trees, Desert Gold and White Babcock. The white dropped its leaves around Thanksgiving, which I figured was right on schedule for our climate and I started looking at some dormant sprays since I had some peach leaf curl this spring and wanted to see if I could nip it for next year. But the Desert Gold still has all its leaves! Should I...

1. Leave it, don't spray
2. Strip the leaves off, spray
3. Or....?

Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrClint

I like your peach choices, both are excellent varieties in my locale.

The leaves should strip off easily now. I strip leaves as soon as possible so that I don't have to rake them up later. They go into the compost bin either way, so why not just cut out the middle step?

I don't spray, and haven't even after a few signs of PLC in some seasons, so I will defer to others on that.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 1:39PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

Are they still green? Red-Yellow? Brown?

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 2:50PM
sunnyinsandiego(USDA 9/Sunset 20)

Fascist_Nation: 90% green, with just the barest touches of reddish-brown starting. You'd think it was October! Then again, it has been an awfully warm winter so far...

mrclint: have you noticed your PLC getting any worse or any better over the years? I'm not the biggest fan of spraying with anything, so if I can avoid it completely, I'd rather do that...

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 3:22PM
MrClint

Leaves sometimes stay greenish longer than you would think. If they come off easily they are safe to strip.

PLC seems to be more of a symptom than a disease for me. If I neglect pruning and allow foliage to become dense/thick, without enough air/light penetration, some PLC will pop up. Plucking an occasional PLC leaf seems to work reasonably well. Note that it hasn't gotten out of hand like you see in some IPM pictures. As always, YMMV.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™