cold season drought (watering)

cousinfloydDecember 1, 2012

After a year with average or better rainfall throughout pretty much the entire growing season we're getting really dry right now. I don't know if we've had much more than one half inch rainfall in the last month and a half/two months. What I'm wondering is how much drought matters this time of year when the leaves have already fallen off and it's cold. I planted a few trees the last month or two, and I watered them in well, but should I be continuing to water them? Or do I not really need to think about watering until they start growing next spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Cousinfloyed,

As I recall, fully dormant trees in cold weather do not require that much water as long as the root system remains moist.

Tony

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 2:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Trees without leaves use nearly zero water. So it's only the newly planted trees that might have issues. Dig down a few inches around the new trees. If it's bone dry water lightly. Surely you'll get some rain soon.

We can go all winter without rain and sunny 60s type weather. I water established trees maybe twice all winter under those conditions.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™