Mara des Bois-- replacement/runners

chloeashaDecember 18, 2012

Hi all! I bought some Mara des Bois from Nourse and they did very well last year in my window boxes. I let a few runner out so I could increase my "patch." I was reading online, though, and some sites list MdB as biennial. For those who have had it, is it really biennial or is that simply talking about a drop in production for older plants? I was originally going to trim off runners this year to increase fruit size, but now am worried I need to replace my older plants and will have to let them reproduce. Thoughts? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

Hello, I have grown Mara des Bois for three years. I too bought mine from Norse. They have never had runners. They bloom and fruit every year. Mrs. G

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 8:50PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

They grew like any other strawberry for me: they put out runners and you thin most of them and let a few replace the older plants. I expect someone was using "biennial" to describe how the newer runners don't produce berries their first year; I didn't notice behavior any different from your standard strawberry. Mrs G, I don't know why your plants are not producing runners.

Scott

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 9:19PM
mrsg47(7)

I don't either. Guess they're well behaved. :)

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 8:21AM
chloeasha

Thanks, guys! I was really having a moment thinking gee, did I make a mistake here and misjudge my plantings? LOL! I shall proceed as planned then.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Growing Fruit Trees in Raised Beds
Hi, Glad to reconnect with the gardenweb again (I used...
tuvalu39
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™