similutated round-up drift on potatoes and next generation

henry_kuskaJanuary 11, 2014

If your organic potatos are being grown near someone who is spraying Round-Up, this paper may be worth knowing about.

Title: Glyphosate Carryover in Seed Potato: Effects on Mother Crop and Daughter Tubers

Published in: American Journal of Potato Research,
January 2014

Authors: Pamela J. S. Hutchinson, Joel Felix, Rick Boydston

Author Affiliations
"1. Aberdeen Research and Extension Center, University of Idaho, 1693 S. 2700 W, Aberdeen, ID, 83210, USA
2. Malheur Experiment Station, Oregon State University, 595 Onion Ave., Ontario, OR, 97914, USA
3. Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Irrigated Agriculture Research and Extension Center, Prosser, WA, 99350, USA "

" Implications are that if a mother seed crop encounters glyphosate during bulking, injury may not even be noticeable on the foliage or the tubers, however, emergence, vigor, and yield of the crop growing the following year from the daughter tubers could be greatly impacted."

See:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12230-013-9363-7#

Here is a link that might be useful: link to abstract

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nc_crn

We're doing this again?

Plus, it seems...based on this and other recent posts...that you're going to ignore other people's suggestion that when you post random stuff like this (answers to questions no one asked) that you add some substance to why you're posting it...especially when it's something no one's been asking about, having problems with, giving bad advice about, etc.

Is there a point to this? Seriously, we could all post a dozen+ of these a week.

This is the 2nd abstract-visible-only from a pay-to-view journal you've posted recently. For someone that likes to nit-pick everything in the world presented to you...you're sure taking just reading a simple abstract rather than the entire paper rather seriously.

I know the amount of seed potato producer growing questions around here is off the hook recently and we've been sitting through all these questions lately from Oregon area blackberry growers wondering about their weed control... Wait...no we haven't.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 6:15

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 4:33AM
Lloyd

nc it's easier to just say "bump".

Lloyd

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 7:43AM
nc_crn

Please cite your source that it's easier.

I'm linking an explanation on how to cite sources for you.

Also, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citing Your Sources

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 7:56AM
henry_kuska

If one is interested in receiving notification of each new issue and links to the abstracts fill in your e-mail address at the link below:

http://www.springer.com/life+sciences/plant+sciences/journal/12230

Look for: "Alerts for this journal
Get the table of contents of every new issue published in American Journal of Potato Research.

Your E-Mail Address
Submit"
on the lower/middle right side of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to sign up

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Bone meal....make your own?
Hey, I hate throwing stuff away, even bones, so I was...
idogcow
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Too cold to compost?
I live in southern Oregon. Day temps are mid-40s; night...
roguejim
Transplanting Strawberries
I have numerous strawberry plants that grew out of...
Gregory Wilhelm
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™