best tasting potatoes?

champagneJanuary 20, 2011

I've grown yukon gold and red potatoes the past few seasons but neither seem to have ever had very much flavor. Am I expecting too much from my home grown potatoes or am I growing the wrong kind? I'm thinking of trying German Butterball this year. Does anyone have any thoughts on that variety? Or suggestions on the most flavorful? I have pretty good soil and use lots of compost. I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pippimac(New Zealand)

Fingerlings like kipfler and pink fir apple are always tasty for me.
In NZ we use agrias a lot: very yellow, floury flesh, best roast potatoes ever. Desiree is also good.
I find traditional/heirloom varieties tend to taste best.
I guess varieties familiar to me may have different names, or not exist where you are!

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 5:44AM
gardengal48

It depends on what you want them for - russets and similar varieties are best for baking; thin skinned are better for other purposes. And "best tasting" is always a subjective issue. Personally, I don't think you can do better than Yukon Gold for a thin skinned variety.....and I live in the PNW also :-)

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 10:51AM
champagne

Thank you.... so far. (I hope to get more opinions). It matters not how I cook them. I just want something more flavorful than what I've had. Maybe I'm asking too much? Most potatoes seem tasteless to me but I've had tasty ones in the distant past.

It's not my taste buds -- they're fine. And I don't want to put on a lot of butter/salt/pepper/sour cream, etc. I just want a potato with some flavor. I'll try any variety. Yukon Gold is OK but there must be something better. Perhaps I could add something to my soil to boost flavor?

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 1:21PM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

There's a chapter on potatoes in "The Resilient Gardener" and she's in the Pacific Northwest.

Don't water them too much at the end of their life. You could be watering down the taste.

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 2:15PM
champagne

Thanks, shebear,

I just looked into that book and ordered (from my local independent bookseller) both of that author's --- "The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times" and "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's & Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding & Seed Saving" by Carol Deppe. Those are two books I can see will be great additions to my garden library!

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 6:06PM
starwoodfarm

I like Red Gold a lot, more than the other dozen or so I've tried. And they're early and high yeilding.

"kipfler and pink fir apple are always tasty for me.
In NZ we use agrias"

I'm going to check out these three. Thanks!

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 10:35PM
flowersnhens(Maine 4)

Where do you all buy your best potato seed from?? I can buy them from our local seed & feed store, but not a whole lot of varieties. I want heirloom varieties. Where is the best place to get them??? I am assuming it would have to be online somewhere.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 8:56PM
Poacherjoe

I always use the red and the russet.I make a furrow and place the taters every 15".Then I put a shovel full of finished leaf compost on top of each one.Then I sprinkle some blood meal and bone meal over this and pull the soil over this.When the sprouts come up I bring more soil around each plant and mulch it with grass clippings or rain spoiled alfalfa hay.I can't count how many truck loads of horse manure I have tilled in over the years plus the compost.2 30 foot rows of these spuds last us all year and they taste great.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 12:56AM
peter_6

Try Kenebec or Norland Red, they're as good as Yukon Gold, but firmer. I try to grow four varieties every year -- for variety! Regards, Peter.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 5:56PM
jolj(7b/8a)

Anyone tried sun chokes?

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 12:23AM
bluegoat_gw(Zone 3b)

This is worth a look. See if it's in your local library before buying.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Potato Book

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 12:46AM
More Discussions
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
Clear differences between organic and non-organic food, study fin
"Clear differences between organic and non-organic...
henry_kuska
Seed meal for soil microorganism control
This article I about seed meal use in orchards but...
Michael
Organic Plant Surfactant
I'm currently trying to decide on a surfactant to use...
knowboddy
Nematodes
I was going to order some beneficial nematodes and...
woohooman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™