Plants defending themselves against predators...

anney(Georgia 8)January 23, 2010

Yet another case reported here. It is not a perfect situation, the relationship between coyote tobacco and hawkmoths.... the hawkmoth [pollinating the plant] has this habit of leaving behind its eggs, which develop into caterpillars that like nothing better than to eat the plant.... [In a tricky maneuver] it shifts the time of its flowering to mornings and attracts a different pollinator, a hummingbird.

"Nobody had actually noticed this before," said Ian T. Baldwin, director of the institute and senior author of the Current Biology paper. He said Danny Kessler, the lead author, was taking photographs one day of a plant that happened to be attacked by caterpillars. "Out of the blue, the flowers opened in the morning," he said.

Munching caterpillars produce oral secretions that "activate a whole series of defense responses," Dr. Baldwin said, including the production of toxins and protease inhibitors that decrease the caterpillars digestive ability. The change in flowering time, he said, "is a fourth major group of events that are activated by caterpillar attack."

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

Amazing.

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 10:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anney(Georgia 8)

Here is another report of something similar I posted last year. But the plants mentioned in the link lure caterpillar-eating yellow jackets to help them out, and the time of flowers opening or closing is not involved as in the report above.

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Companion Planting Newbie Needs Help
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I'm needing...
flutterby64
How to get rid of Moles/Voles in my Garden ???
Help !!! They are driving me nuts. I want some of my...
Natilie70
My Onion Seedlings are not standing upright!!
I started my onion seeds March 1st and the germination...
mikeman824
Safeness of gavanized hardware cloth in containers?
I now have 4 Behlen food-grade stock tanks for raised...
catherinet
Pesticides on Vegetables and Fruit Linked to Lower Sperm Counts
See: http://www.newsweek.com/pesticides-vegetables-and-fruit-linked-lower-sperm-counts-318164...
henry_kuska
Sponsored Products
Lampadario Bamboo Pendant Lamp
| Italy Design
Red Cedar Saybrook Arbor
Fifthroom.com
Retro Murano Style Candle Lights Wall Sconce with Crystals
ParrotUncle
Lemon Cypress Cone in Brown Burlap
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Champakali Ceramic Stool
$104.99 | Dot & Bo