?How do you keep weevils from hatching in your grains/meals?

brass_tacks(8b/GA)January 31, 2009

?Question? How should I prevent the weevils from hatching in the bags of Alfalfa pellets and corn meal?

Now that I'm just starting with organic gardening, I'll be getting big bags of stuff and don't want to have to replace my inventory because of weevils.

Thanks

Brass

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Excellent question.

If you truly want to prevent their eggs hatching, leave them outside when it freezes down into the teens for a day or two. Oh, you live in GA! In that case you might have to freeze small portions in your freezer. Then don't put them back into the same bag. Put them into a clean, insect free, plastic bin. I use Rubbermaid bins to keep the rats out.

In San Antonio it never freezes hard/long enough to kill weevils. Thus I try to use up everything at Thanksgiving so that there is nothing left to grow weevils in. Then I start over in February.

Before I learned to use everything up in the fall, when my fertilizer did have weevils, I just mixed it all up (a little icky) and spread the weevils too. They were full of protein so why not? They die soon and become "meat byproducts."

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 11:19AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Given that our FDA has allowed the producers of many of our food products to increase the level of feces and eggs from vermin in our foods, such as flour, corn meal, etc. there is no reason to believe that there would be any less in what are essentially animal feed. Mixing some Diamotaceous Earth, food grade, in is a bit easier than trying, in Georgia, to freeze that although the grains you eat can be frozen to keep those insects from hatching.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 6:37AM
brass_tacks(8b/GA)

Thanks so much.

So glad I thought to ask this question before it's too late. One day last summer I opened a bag of fish meal that was just half gone and the contents were moving -- I mean, the bag was thick with weevils.

About the Diamotaceous Earth, I use it at the base of my citrus trees to help keep the ants from crawling up the trunks. I think it works.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 7:53PM
david52 Zone 6

Is there any 'organic' pesticide that could be used to treat weevils and such in stored grain?

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 11:43AM

Diatomatious earth would be the only one I know of. I've never seen it work on anything, but I've never tried it in grains, either.

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 1:17PM
bcday(z5 NY)

Not to hijack the thread, but even a mouse can chew its way into a Rubbermaid bin. I stored bird seed in one in the garage for my bird feeders and found a hole chewed in it practically overnight. I think you've just been lucky so far that no rats have found your stash. The only thing that will keep a rodent out is a galvanized metal container, with the lid on tight. That's what the kennels around here use for storing their dry kibble too.

For insect pests in stored grain, freezing is what has worked best for me, but I've never tried the DE. I'd want to check the label before putting any pesticide, organic or not, on grain I'm planning to eat. Organic doesn't necessarily mean edible or safe.

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 7:57PM

There is a food grade DE.

Your reply reminded me of college when a mouse chewed its way into my little plastic trash bucket. Good times.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 1:18AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

bcday, some food processors already add food grade DE to the foods you eat to aid in control of these insect larva. This has been a common practice since the 1950's at least.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 6:30AM
nandina(8b)

Bay leaves are effective but expensive for the amount needed. Safflower seed, available from bird feeding stores, buzzed in a food processor and stirred through grain bags is effective. Cheapest method is to grow a marigold crop, pull it in the fall, hang to dry, save the dried leaves and add them to the stored grain. For additional protection, work a few drops of neem oil into any of the above.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Soil Test - Help
Hi First Post! I cleared a piece of land last fall...
conda71
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Rock salt and asparagus
Someone told me he contols weeds in his asparagus patch...
kept
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
Sponsored Products
AXO Light | Muse Suspension Light
YLighting
MTI Sophia 1 Tub (59.5" x 31" x 21")
Modern Bathroom
Sea Gull Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Belmar 1-Light Outdoor Polished Brass Post T
Home Depot
Butterfly Bath Accessory Collection
Overstock.com
Shires Equestrian Stable Toys for Neigh Station - 5253-CHARLIE
$26.95 | Hayneedle
Jonathan Adler Capri Gray Cased Glass Accent Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™