humic acid/fulvic acid in compost tea

daveainva(Z6/7)January 21, 2006

I found a recipe for using fulvic and humic acid in compost tea. The local garden store has "Fine Earth" which has humic acid. Do I need more? Where can the two ingredients be purchased?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Everything I have read about these "substances" tells me that if you get sufficient quantites of organic matter into your soil they will be there and you need not spend large sums of money obtaining them. The soils that will benefit most from these are almost sterile and have bery little OM and hterefore very little life in the soil.

Bookmark   January 22, 2006 at 6:51AM
butchfomby

if you have been organic gardening a million years you probably don't need to use humates and humic acid...we here in america have depleted most of our soil...by disturbing soil, plowing, tilling, roads, building etc....also compaction, also pesticides etc..roundup...if i was starting a small garden, i would begin by using the ruth stout method, start in fall...learn to make your own compost, learn how to use humic acid to soften soil (deep)....build back minerals using volcanic rock dust...the dirtdocter says you may have to till once in beginning....also add biochar (once)...the indian

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 11:57AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Much of the research I have seen tells me that it will not take a million years to get humic or fulvic acids in the soil, just adding adequate quantities of organic matter will do that in 3 to 5 years. Keep in mind that Howard Garret, the dirt doctor, also has a retail sales operation that sells many of the magic elixirs he tells you that you need.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
Re aphids - don't ants eat aphids?
I found what I think are aphids on my Salvia. Only...
ellenr22
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Organic way to get rid of Bermuda grass
Probably a hopeless cause, but is there any way to...
kathyp
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™