Organic Winter zucchini in EarthBoxes

MrClintJanuary 17, 2014

My organic Winter zucchini trial in a Earthbox was a lot less productive or dramatic than the tomato trial. To be honest, I haven't trialed various zucchini varieties for Winter production the way I have for toms. Be that as it may, here they are for better or for worse. I would like to discuss this with anyone that is interested in the topic, and certainly with anyone experienced in growing zucchini through Winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nc_crn

That's a rough crop for winter, even in SoCal. Comparing the size of the leaves to the flower bud opening, they're not doing so great.

How many plants did you have? ...enough to produce enough male/female flowers for timely pollination?

I imagine you'd have a lot less pollinators around this time of year, too.

Peppers and toms are a lot easier out-of-season compared to squash/zukes.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:26PM
MrClint

The behavior is very different in Winter. The fruits hang on for days with the flowers still in bloom. I don't think I've seen any male flowers yet. As a result, the fruits are never fertilized and they never size up. I have one zucchini plant going right now. This is a Romanesco hybrid that does really well here in Summer, but I think a trial is in order for a better Winter variety. Still I do harvest a couple of small zucchini a week.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:42PM
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

You need to consider day/night length which control flowering and as NC noted, so additional lighting in the proper spectrum might be needed. You also need enough individual plants to assure both male and female flower present at the same time. Finally, you might have better results by hand pollinating the female stigmas with the male flowers. There are also varieties specially bred for greenhouse/tunnel production, very quick setting small bush types, often to harvest no more than 40 days from transplant. You really don't want some old viney variety taking 50-60 days to flower.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 12:54AM
MrClint

Yes, I think with a bit more trialing of different varieties the results might be better. It was a surprise to just have one survive the overnight lows.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
organic way to be rid of rain barrel squigglies
I have squigglies in my rain barrels, probably they...
applemum
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
What, specifically, is the objection (of many) to Milorganite?
I know there used to be a problem or worry of a problem...
gonebananas_gw
This article may be of interest to some here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/why-your-garden-needs-fertilizer--or-not/2015/02/10/153eb5b8-ad6e-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html kimmq...
kimmq
Bone meal....make your own?
Hey, I hate throwing stuff away, even bones, so I was...
idogcow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™