Beginner Trying to Learn- Raised Beds? Organic?
I am wanting to plant a small garden in a raised bed in my back yard and am looking for where to start. I want the garden to have a few flowers, a few veggies, but mainly herbs and most of all I want it to be organic. I am on a budget and my space is limited to an 8' x 4' x 8" raised bed that I plan on building. Here are some of the questions I have:
1. I need good ideas on a good watering system (soaker hose, drip hose, timer, setup, etc.) that would be conducive to south Louisiana and my bad memory which forgets to water things. Also, how should this be laid out in my bed?
2. Should my raised bed have a divider between the veggies, herbs, and flowers?
3. What should I put in my bed to get it started in the right direction? Soil? Mulch? Compost? Fertilizer? (Keep in mind organic)
4. I have mostly seeds to start the garden off. Can I start them in the bed itself to make things easier? If so, do I need to make a system similar to a green house to keep everything moist and warm until it germinates?
5. How should I place my seeds/plants? I have no idea what should go where and next to what.
6. Should I use weed barrier fabric or chicken wire in the bottom of my bed or both? What are the pros and cons of these?
Thank you for all your help!