natural tomato insecticides

chef_carson(z9,central fl)February 7, 2006

Any suggestions for insecticides for tomatoes? No chemicals preferably. Not quite what is eating them, but I want them to stop. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creister(z7 TX)

Seaweed/fish emulsion + molasses + orange oil will get rid of most pests. It will however, kill some of the smaller beneficial insects. If you spray regularly with Garrett Juice, it will eliminate most problems before they start.

Last year, I also planted some flowering plants at the edge of my garden to attract beneficial insects. It was alyssum and cosoms that I planted. Attracted ladybugs, preying mantis and others.

Bookmark   February 7, 2006 at 1:00PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

To control any insect you do need to identify what that insect is so the proper control measure can be taken. What you have very often determines what you use. For insect larva that eat leaves most often in the early stages of life you can use Bacullus thuringiensis - Kurstaki, for many adult pests you might use insecticidal soap sprays but for theose to be effective you must spray the insect because insecticidal soaps have no residual (long lasting) affect. Many tomato pests can be repeled by planting other plants close by, but that to odepends on what your pest is.

Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 7:00AM
dereckbc(7a TX)

My first tip is to plant Marigolds and Pyrethrum Daisy's in between the plants. From there I agree you need to know what the pest is then use the proper control like BT, Soaps, and if all else fails use Pyrethrum sprays.

Bookmark   February 11, 2006 at 11:47PM
Heathen1(10a)

The best thing I ever planted with my tomatoes was borage, works great in keeping away the dreaded Tomato horned worm! :o) I had them STRIP a large nicotiana half an acre away from the tomatoes, but they never touch the tomatoes.

Bookmark   February 12, 2006 at 10:46AM
Miss_Mudcat(SE Indiana z5)

Chef,

It is wise, as kimmsr, advised, to find out what is eating your tomatoes first before you spray anything. I planted borage among my tomatoes the last two seasons, yet I still had hornworms. (It is possible that I could have had lots more without them.) If the leaves of your plants are being stripped clean, and the fruit are being nibbled on, and you find weird-looking star-shaped poop, you've got yourself a hornworm. We just hand-pick ours off and feed them to the chickens. That means many trips to the garden throughout the day to keep an eye on things.

Best wishes,
Lisa

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 11:25AM
zebraman

I pinch the first or second leaf stem just hard enough to bruise it which causes the plant to produce an enzyme that is LETHAL to Hornworms.I have used this tech.for 10 years and have not had one hornworm make it to adulthood.

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 3:22PM
pablo_nh(z4/5 NH)

bt. Dipel dust killed them for me. The ones I saw later were diseased and dying. I got a sick thrill out of it :)

Very effective stuff

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 3:43PM
sunny43(Z 6 Pa.)

Zebraman: How often do you have to pinch? At what stage do you start pinching? Does it affect the whole plant by just pinching one stem? Thanks.

Bookmark   March 1, 2006 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Re aphids - don't ants eat aphids?
I found what I think are aphids on my Salvia. Only...
ellenr22
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
Organic way to get rid of Bermuda grass
Probably a hopeless cause, but is there any way to...
kathyp
A webinar on no till and mulching
http://www.extension.org/pages/71822/rotational-no-till-and-mulching-systems-for-organic-vegetable-farms-webinar#.VN4ICebF98E...
kimmq
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™