Dividing phalaenopsis?

elberethJanuary 26, 2012

Does anyone have any experiencing in propogating phalaenopsis by division? I know they're monopodial, but I believe I read something years ago (I don't remember where at this point) about dividing phals by cutting off the top portion of the stem along with the leaves and some aerial roots which can then be potted up separately, and leaving the bottom portion to produce new growth. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you,

elbereth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidnick

Don't do it!!!

Nick

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 12:57PM
philpet

Hi,I can understand you wanting more plants but that is a big risk,you might end up loosing both halves,my advise enjoy you plant,pray for kikies keep it healthy, and hopefully you will be rewarded,wait on deviding untill your absolutly sure it will work. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 1:11PM
steph1115

I have a phal that has flowers and on the same stem seems to be getting more flowers. I am new at this and wonder if it is flowers or a Kiki?

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 10:30AM
ashes_of_the_fire(6B)

lol @ nick!
but seriously, what you're talking about is usually done with vandas, your phal would have to be a monster before that would be possible with any real chance of success, and if it was that big you'd likely have some keikis to satisfy you.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 7:47PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I've done it with success - once! It was a large, ugly Phal and had roots a foot up the crown. I cut below the aerial roots and potted. I left the base alone and it sent out a basal keiki. The crown sent out a keiki also.

I wouldn't bother doing that again unless it was something special. It takes time to adapt and the base takes a long time to leaf and finally get big enough to bloom. You look at a pot of roots for a long time.

Jane

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 9:21PM
ginnibug

See if you can find some Keiki Paste. I've heard tell that you can get keikis from the flower stem from an unbudded flower node. Thus cloning your own plant.gb

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 10:22AM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Ginnibug, this is what is happening to me. I posted photos of it in another post. What is Keiki Paste and what do you use it for?

Penny

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Ice cubes explained
My neighbor who's an expert gardener said that 3 ice...
cooperdr_gw
The Office "Cursed Orchid"
At my old job that I left about two weeks ago, my boss...
Nicole
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
In bloom 27 months and counting...
Dendrobium Hialeah twist. (Spiker x canaliculatum)...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™