where to buy non-gmo seeds

calik8(sunset18)March 4, 2014

Is there an online source for Non-GMO seeds? One that might also be a fundraiser for some worthy group?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I am linking you to a thread in the Vegetable Forum which essentially tells you that there are no GMO seeds to speak of available to home gardeners.

Here is a link that might be useful: GMO worries

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 1:06PM
puzzlefan(5)

Seeds of Change sells non GMO seeds and some of Pinetree seeds are also available.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 2:11PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Or you could read this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: GMOs

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 4:50PM
calik8(sunset18)

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the links to other threads were a bit outdated. I went to Seedsofchange.com and they say:
"We only carry 100% certified organic, non-GMO seeds,"
They do sell seeds in the home gardener size for $3.49 a pack.
Time to shop!

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 5:22PM
elisa_z5

The point floral was trying to make is that ALL seeds available to home gardeners are non-GMO seeds.

If you want to pay less than seeds of change, try Fedco. Their packets sell from about 80 cents to a couple bucks, and they test all their corn to make sure it's not been crossed with gmo strains (that's about the only seed that is sometimes contaminated.)

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 9:25PM
2ajsmama

Beets can cross too, Fedco tests their chard and beets as well as corn. Other than that, look for safe seed pledge. GE summer squash exists, but I don't know anyone testing for contamination on that.

It's actually a lot harder to buy GE seed than (assumed, but no guarantee) non-transgenic seed. Depends on how worried you are about cross-pollination and contamination from shared harvesting equipment, storage facilities, etc.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 9:33PM
nc_crn

If someone is growing GMO sugar beets to seed/flower they're doing it wrong and someone should check the field's owner to make sure they're still alive.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 9:56PM
calik8(sunset18)

Fedco says they specialize in cold hardy varieties. I am in Los Angeles. (The San Fernando Valley). Do you think the seeds would work here?

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 11:23AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

I imagine they would work ok. The old days of regional seeds is mostly over. Fedco does have some local growers; some middle sized growers, and many large international growers. You choose according to what grows and matures in your climate.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 11:46AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It looks like the links to other threads were a bit outdated.

How so? The thread floral linked is 2 weeks old and includes a list of the possible GMO contaminated crops, none of which are grown by home gardeners or even for sale to home gardeners.

All this stupid mis-leading advertising that some of these seed companies have under taken just to pad their wallets by capitalizing on uninformed and irrational fears is gross. They sure shouldn't be encouraged by buying from them.

Dave

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Organic Plant Surfactant
I'm currently trying to decide on a surfactant to use...
knowboddy
Seed meal for soil microorganism control
This article I about seed meal use in orchards but...
Michael
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
A webinar on no till and mulching
http://www.extension.org/pages/71822/rotational-no-till-and-mulching-systems-for-organic-vegetable-farms-webinar#.VN4ICebF98E...
kimmq
Informal mycorrhizae trials thread
Background: As a result of the mycorrhizae discussion...
ralleia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™