Is Dry Molasses SuperSweet 38?

cottagegardenofmineMarch 2, 2006

I finally found dry molasses at a local farm store for my compost tea this summer. But looking at the ingredients, I'm not sure if it is the right stuff or that it is even organic and good for my little herd. Can anyone decifer this label and tell me what it means for a microorganism?

The label says it contains Processed Grain Byproducts, can molasses, dextrose, sucrose, fructose, citric acid, iron oxide, vegetable oil, natural and artificial flavor.

Crude protein 10%

Crude fat .50%

crude fiber 10%

calcium 1.75%-2.25%

Acid detergent fiber 8%

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Your member page doesn't say where you live (my pet peeve) but I'll just go ahead and assume you are listening to Howard Garrett in Dallas. He's the only guy in the country promoting dry molasses. For the life of me I don't know why. It is hard to spread and if you don't spread it all, the left over stuff in the bag turns in to a solid rock. But other than that, I have never found molasses of any kind, at any concentration, to do anything noticeable in my yard.

If you are still going to try molasses, I think you're much better off using liquid molasses at 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet, about 4 times per season. The ingredients of a 50-pound bag of dry molasses are 35 pounds of chipped corn cobs or rice hulls and 15 pounds of wet molasses. 10 pounds of wet molasses (about a gallon) costs $1.00 at your local farm and ranch co-op. You have to bring in your own container.

Bookmark   March 4, 2006 at 2:25AM
More Discussions
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
A webinar on no till and mulching
http://www.extension.org/pages/71822/rotational-no-till-and-mulching-systems-for-organic-vegetable-farms-webinar#.VN4ICebF98E...
kimmq
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Seed meal for soil microorganism control
This article I about seed meal use in orchards but...
Michael
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™