Phal in distress (mold)

davis.mbd(8B)January 1, 2014

I have had this Phal for about a year and a half. I bought it in bloom, the last flower fell off about four months later, and I cut down the spikes. Ever since then I've been keeping it in a south-facing window and watering about once a week.

The newest two leaves look good - shiny and yellow-green. The bottom three are duller and matte. Yesterday I cut off a fourth bottom leaf that had turned completely yellow (you can see the base of this leaf around the pic with the new spike (?) growth), and noticed that there was a collection of mold at the base.

Is mold a death-knell? This plant has been looking pretty lackluster for a while, and the yellow leaf concerned me too. Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davis.mbd(8B)

Here is a pic of the mold at the bottom.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 12:18PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Doesn't look like mold to me although your potting media looks worn out and wet. Have you repotted the plant since you bought it? Sort of looks like eggs of some bug - ants?

Appears you have a spike, but I would get that plant out of that pot into some fresh media quickly.

Too wet.

Jane

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 12:14AM
davis.mbd(8B)

Ug I hope it's not bug eggs! I will definitely repot ASAP, thank you.

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 2:03PM
greentoe357

You know, it could be something other than insect eggs, including mold. I just repotted this orchid that is growing inside where no insects that I can see are present, and it had something very similar next to the drain hole where both moisture and air where present. I put cinnamon on the roots when repotting just in case.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 3:36AM
More Discussions
my phalenopsis is dead or almost anythimg I can do
i hah a phal with air roots and regular roots. the...
ekkiemom
Orchid display case
So I found two of thesee aquarium units at my local...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Spotted-leaf Lady Slipper?
I just bought a couple out-of-bloom orchids at my local...
litchfieldgardener
Why are my phal orchid bloom so late in the season?
I have 8-9 pots of phal orchid, they all have flower...
Sara_in_philly
Habenaria radiata tubers/corms? picture
On the gallery side, I said I would post a picture...
aachenelf z5 Mpls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™