Dropping buds

Savage82January 3, 2012

I have a phalaenopsis and recently had it lose 2 of it's buds. I am new to orchids and am not sure what the problem could be. There were 4 buds, but 2 looked as if they were close to opening (you could see the purplish color through the bud) then they turned yellow and fell off.

My thoughts are maybe it is too cold? The house is kept at about 65 degrees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchid126(z6, NJ)

How long have you had the phal? One reason for bud blast is the change in atmosphere the plant endures when brought from one location to a new one. Another is dryness, yet another something in the atmosphere. There could be a number of reasons that would cause the buds to blast. The hurtful part is that the buds blast just on the verge of opening, which fools you into thinking that the next morning you will see the start of a bloom.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 2:44PM
captainjohn(Z 9 La)

I don't think the 65 degrees is the cause. However, do you have it located by a window and maybe it is getting colder than you think?

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 4:40PM
Paul_Mc

65 is not too cold, in fact to get your phal to rebloom it should experience night time lows around 60 degrees (in the appropriate fall and winter season). Phal's are one of the best to not experience bud blast when moving from one environment (store) to another (home). However, that does not mean it will not happen.

You did not say what your orchid was potted in (medium and pot style) nor how the roots are doing. The roots are critical to success of orchid growing - whenever you have a problem you should always check the roots as they tend to tell you if there is a problem way before you see it in the flowers and leaves.

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 9:28AM
cnslr81

I agree with Paul_Mc, I think the temp is fine. Check the roots. How much water are you giving it? How much light does it receive?

Sarah

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Orchid IDs?
I got a few orchids within the months from places like...
fuzzballiscute
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
Why are my phal orchid bloom so late in the season?
I have 8-9 pots of phal orchid, they all have flower...
Sara_in_philly
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I have Phals since grade six. In the last three years,...
jujujojo_gw
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™