first time bud, but problems???

gregbr549January 29, 2012

Hi,

I have my first orchid that is about to bloom (I hope). It is a phalaenopsis. This bloom has been the same size for several weeks. The bud is about the size of an almond in the shell. Is there something wrong? Do buds usually take this long to bloom? Do I need to do something differently to make it finish blooming?

thanks for any help,

Greg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
philpet

Hi,congratulation on getting your first orchid,orchids are slow growers and therefore require patients,once the plant is healthy and getting enough sun,water and fertilizer it will eventually bloom,I have had phals send out a spike stop,and sent out a different spike which grows bloom and then the first spike then finish grows and then blooms,so don't worry just continue to cear your plant,I hopes this makes you feel better,happy growing,maybe a senior member could also shead some light.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 12:40PM
stinimarini

I recently had my first chute and blooms for a phal! I was a little disappointed myself when I first got it it had 6-7 flowers but only 3 this time.... Got on the google and learned there is a bloom booster fertilizer for once A month use and will be starting that upon the flowers exit. The bud size was similar in the almond size but it opens up I am attaching a pic for you! It is kept outside.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:27AM
jane__ny(9-10)

You don't need bloom booster for anything. As long as the plant gets the right light, watering and warmth you will get blooms. Phals need a temperature drop in the Fall to initiate spikes.

Jane

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 12:24AM
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

There is a lot of information in past threads about bloom booster. Just put Bloom Booster in the search box at the top of this discussions page to find.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
stanhopea
I'd like to try growing the stanhopea orchid. do you...
greendale63
Dendrobium in potting moss
I have this two new babies in my collection. I noticed...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
V. Kriangkrai yellow
Hi these is the first V. Kriangkrai yellow i have....
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
Brassavola "Little stars" vendor
Any suggestions for US vendors? A Google search found...
bea
Why are my phal orchid bloom so late in the season?
I have 8-9 pots of phal orchid, they all have flower...
Sara_in_philly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™