Divide Cattleyas or Grow to Specimien Size?

shirley-z-8-txJanuary 8, 2012

Some of my Cattleya orchids are getting large. Do you divide yours or grow to a specimen size?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidnick

Definitely specimen size. Some put on awesome displays covering themselves with flowers. If you want divisions that's also the way to go. If you have a plant with 50 PBs, you can take a division of it anytime and the plant looks the same. I have a L superbiens that is big enough to be awkward. The last 2 years I have taken off the leads after bloom and either sold or traded them. The plant promptly grows a new lead in the same place.

Nick

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 3:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

I do not think the answer to this question is YES/No. Depends on the Cattleya and whether or not you are interested in growing "specimen plants". Also, is your particular Cattleya a suitable candidate.

For example, at the last society meeting one grower exhibited a plant of Epicat. Burdekin Honey that was covered in a mass of flowers. This is an orchid that readily makes multiple leads and there is a very short stem between each smallish pseudobulb. Not a huge plant.

Some Cattleyas will tend to grow in a straight line and if you want to make a specimen plant you have to do a lot of cutting of the Rhizome, not in the spirit of the things.

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
Habenaria radiata tubers/corms? picture
On the gallery side, I said I would post a picture...
aachenelf z5 Mpls
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
Spotted-leaf Lady Slipper?
I just bought a couple out-of-bloom orchids at my local...
litchfieldgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™