Alfalfa hay vs. pellets

humboldt101(7b)March 18, 2011

Didn't see this anywhere so I'm gonna go out on a limb... I was at the feed store today looking at alfalfa pellets for my garden when I realized that alfalfa hay was cheaper. 50# bag of pellets is $14 and 100# of alfalfa hay is $16. Any reason people choose pellets over the hay? Is it just the convenience and the added molasses? Won't it work just as well as a tea if I use the hay as a mulch around the plants and water it? Or am I missing something?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alphonse(6)

Not sure where you live...here you can buy a 40# bale for 2 bucks in season.
Yes, it's convenience, but I'm not sure you'll have the same results as a tea, rather doubt it. You need to steep it.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 8:23AM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

I thought the pellets had a bunch of other ingredients (grains, etc.)besides alfalfa? @ least the kind I buy does - it's sold for rabbit food - & it's $5/25#. The pellets break down a lot faster than hay too.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 10:03AM
humboldt101(7b)

Thank you both for your responses. Alphonse- I live in Northern California. Humboldt/ Trinity Counties to be exact. Guess it's just more expensive here. But... Would it be the same if I steeped the hay and added my own molasses?

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 2:58PM
alphonse(6)

The alfalfa pellets sold here don't have molasses, it's simply shredded leaves, highly compressed.
At $2/bale I mean right off the field when they're baling. You get all the stems too, not just leaves.
I don't see why your tea would be any different...if it has stems likely just need a bigger brew bin.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 8:26AM
jolj(7b/8a)

Check out Farm coop's, they are cheaper then many other outlets.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Clear differences between organic and non-organic food, study fin
"Clear differences between organic and non-organic...
henry_kuska
Seed meal for soil microorganism control
This article I about seed meal use in orchards but...
Michael
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
This article may be of interest to some here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/home/why-your-garden-needs-fertilizer--or-not/2015/02/10/153eb5b8-ad6e-11e4-ad71-7b9eba0f87d6_story.html kimmq...
kimmq
Organic way to get rid of Bermuda grass
Probably a hopeless cause, but is there any way to...
kathyp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™