Watering Orchids on Vacation

gardenscents(8)January 28, 2012

Here is what my husband concocted to keep my orchids hydrated while we are gone a couple of weeks.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/gardenscents/orchidwaterer.jpg

Here is Snow ballet in full bloom. Unfortunately she is rampant with mealy bugs this year. Too warm? Too humid? It stays 75% humidity in that room with the number of plants in there.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/gardenscents/100_3250.jpg

In the back is a white dendrobium that has bloomed continously for years and years and is finally putting out so many kikis that I think she dying. But she's given up about 20 new plants!

Enjoy!

RuthAnne in SC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob8_gw

When I grew under lights, we would go away twice a year for 2 weeks. We just watered the heck out of them the day before we left and then turned off all but one light per tray. Then as soon as we got back, we watered them thoroughly. Most of the plants faired just fine. What I'd be worried about if I were you would be the mealybugs. Keep that plant far away from the rest and try to get that under control before leaving. At the very least I'd be spraying the heck out of that plant as well as the surrounding plants with horticultural oil mixed with water.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 6:29PM
gardenscents(8)

I agree about the mealy bugs. I have been spraying them and battling them all winter! I put a night blooming jasmine outside to freeze because it was covered. For now things are ok but I'm sure I'll have some work to do when I come home. My friend took the large Snow Ballet home and I told her to cut off the flowers and spray. I'll spray again when I come home. So frustrating. I let off an insecticide bomb with all the plants inside at the beginning of the winter too!

Thanks for the advice! I can always use advice as I'm always learning.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 7:02PM
bgian(New York)

wow that snow ballet is amazing!

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Damaged orchid is growing leaves out its side?
Okay so back story first so anyone reading this understands...
shelbianne
orid lighting examples with pics/ how do you use orcid bloom enhance
Could some people post a pic of where they keep their...
Katie Parker
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
The Office "Cursed Orchid"
At my old job that I left about two weeks ago, my boss...
Nicole
angraecum sesquipedale framboyant x bosorii lisa
Hi all, Two weeks ago i received an Angraecum sesquipedale...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™