Orchids at Lowe,s Building Supply

janepa(Z5-6 PA)January 2, 2012

Are the orchids that Lowe's sell a quality that are worth buying?

I have bought a couple which I paid $15.-$25. but they have never made it to a second bloom cycle. I think I was the problem because I know very little about growing orchids.

Which are the heaviest bloomers that I might be able to get locally?

Thank you. Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Most of the orchids sold at Lowes equivalent places here are top quality. Only problems are restricted choice and rapid decline in the condition of the plants due to public handling and poor care by sales staff. For example, it only takes about 5 days for a pristine plant to be reduced to a wreck at an orchid society's sales table at a show.

Maybe contact the orchid societies in your area to see what the locals grow.

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 2:50AM
vtandrea

I've bought 4 or 5 of their tiny starter cattleya orchids and all are doing well. The first thing I do when getting one home is repot into tiny plastic pots with cones and slats on the side and remove rotted roots, if any. A "Goldenzelle" type has grown to blooming size and the other tiny ones are all doing very well. I agree with Arthur: a lot depends on the care given by sales staff.

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 8:02AM
janepa(Z5-6 PA)

Thank you for your replies. I will first do some studing on orchids and then give Lowe's another try.

Jane

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 11:50AM
dlsorchids(6-A)

I'm no expert when it comes to orchids. I've been growing phals for almost eight years. My oldest orchid came from Lowe's and 3-4 of my other ones came from Lowe's as well. They have been growing great for years and I would continue to buy them from Lowe's without a doubt. As for the rest of my collection, they have come from eBay. I do agree that arthurm is right when he said that it only takes a few days for a really nice orchid to be a wreck. Happy growing.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Why are my phal orchid bloom so late in the season?
I have 8-9 pots of phal orchid, they all have flower...
Sara_in_philly
This new format really stinks.
Where are the old posts if you want to look through...
vtandrea
stanhopea
I'd like to try growing the stanhopea orchid. do you...
greendale63
Exchange forum
Is the exchange forum still sponsored on Houzz? If...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™