Turkey manure compost OK for organic??

right_coaster(NC Zone 8)April 29, 2008

This may sound like a dumb question, but does composted turkey manure pose any health concerns in an organic vegetable garden? I have always used mushroom compost from the garden center but I can get a truck load of composted turkey manure from a local mulch company for really cheap. I know that store bought manure like Black Kow comes sterile so there is really no concern.

Here is the text from the company that sells the composted turkey manure:

Our compost is produced from ground pine bark blended with turkey manure. Our compost is turned, watered and aged to achieve the optimum pH and nitrogen levels.

I just want to know if there are any concerns with using this. Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spat72(zn_9/10)

composted turkey manure should be fine provided it is properly composted. That goes for any composted manure. If you are getting it by the truck load then the facility is likely nearby. Why not take a youngster with you as a field trip and visit them to see for your self if they are doing a clean operation. at the same time expose a young mind to what organic materials for gardening is all about.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 11:04PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Turkey manure, like any other poultry manure, may be okay depending on the source. Many of the large Turkey "Farms" (factories) routinely feed large amounts of antibiotics that may be in that manure and these are not something you want to introduce into your garden, or your environment. Ask about this and smell the compost before buying any. If it smells like good, rich earth and has no residual antibiotics it may be something to add to your soil.

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 7:35AM
organic_earnie

There are organic products to "clean up" harmful residue in manure & litter, as well as organic compost aids, organic oddor control (for manure & litter) & organic "fertilizers". Organic fertilizers that utilize effective microorganisms are a very good option that can improve water retention, loosen soil, reduce garden pests & weeds. some sites I've found are; www.biorichsoils.com www.biologicalservices.com www.ecands.net and www.supergreengrass.com Check it out. It works for me.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 6:05PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Any Organic "Fertilizer" that will improve water retention, or improve drainage, loosen soil, etc. is simply very expensive compost that you can make at home. There is no really good reason to spend that much money on those products when the same thing can be accomplished with freely available material, for most of us, right around home.

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 7:14AM
More Discussions
Broom corn millet-bulk for consumption?
Would anyone know of a source of bulk broom corn seed...
iowariver
opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?
i can't seem to get any information on them. Really...
rathdrumid
organic way to be rid of rain barrel squigglies
I have squigglies in my rain barrels, probably they...
applemum
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™