Which shade cloth % for summer lettuce?

blueberrier1April 22, 2007

Anyone with advice or experience on which % shade cloth will give optimal light for looseleaf lettuce in zones 6-7?

Successfully use Remay early spring and late fall for luscious lettuce (just now have some buttercrunch that made it thru a week of mid 20s).

Farm Tek gives shade %s for various ornamentals, but cannot find info on vegetable crops.

cella jane ky/6

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dibbit(z7b SC)

I would think that the lesser percentages of shade would do - I remember my sister used to use the black fiberglass window screening when she lived in Rhinebeck NY, with good success.

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 5:11PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hi blueberrier - because of the temp reduction shade cloth affords (10-15 degrees), the recommended % is tied directly to whatever the current air temps. Here in Z6 I keep 40% shade over it all the time after about May 1st-10th because we are well into the 80's by then.

If I am having 90 degree days I add another layer of 20% and for those July/August days where we range into the 100+ degrees, I add yet another layer of 20%.

I grow mine in a 8'x8' square bed so it is easy to rig shade cloth and I cant the cover just enough to block the worst of the noon-4pm sun.

Good luck. ;)

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 6:33PM
organica(7RichmondVA)

Will floating row cover do the job as well?
-O

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 7:45PM
Dibbit(z7b SC)

Organica, not really - one of floating row cover's virtues is that it passes a lot of light and a fair bit of heat. It will help a little, but not as much as actually shading the plants.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Bone meal....make your own?
Hey, I hate throwing stuff away, even bones, so I was...
idogcow
Nematodes
I was going to order some beneficial nematodes and...
woohooman
Informal mycorrhizae trials thread
Background: As a result of the mycorrhizae discussion...
ralleia
Too cold to compost?
I live in southern Oregon. Day temps are mid-40s; night...
roguejim
Earth, A new wild
If you have not yet seen this series, there are 4 programs,...
kimmq
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™