Alaska Fish Emulsion vs. Neptune's Harvest

rhubarb_stalker(Z5b Western MA)April 3, 2009

Both of these products are available in my area, but the Alaska product is a lot cheaper than NH.

Is NH worth the extra $$ or not?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmersteve(N. AL Zone 7)

I don't know if I can quantify 'worth the price,' but the only difference I see is that Alaska Fish Emulsion is 5-1-1 according to the label on the one in my garage and Neptune Fish Fertilizer is 2-4-1.

So, what do you need more of nitrogen or phosphorus? Neptune's product would probably make a better starter solution while Alaska's might be better as a fertilizer for more established plants.

Steve

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 10:46PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

NH is fish hydrolysate (high DRAWL uh sate) made by letting enzymes partially digest fish parts at room temp. AFE is an emulsion made by heating the fish parts until they boil down into jelly and thus cooking any proteins, vitamins, or enzymes that might have been there. Those are the differences. The people who test those things like the hydrolysate.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 4:00PM
rosesnpots(z8 Tidewater area VA)

I have a question. I was told by the organic garden center in my area that NH is all I need to fertilize my tomatoes. Is this true or should I use something else as well??

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 7:50PM
kcobbva_gmail_com

I've used Alaskan for the last three years with exceptional results. My tomatos and peppers were very prolific. I went out to purchase Neptune, but my local Nursery was out of it. I picked up Neptune yesterday and am now going to use it this year to see if any results change/increase. This one is the Fish/Seaweed mix.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 1:54PM
luke_oh(zone 5 NE Ohio)

Kevin, Would you mind telling me the cost of the NH and what area that your in? Thanks, Luke

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 7:44AM
More Discussions
A webinar on no till and mulching
http://www.extension.org/pages/71822/rotational-no-till-and-mulching-systems-for-organic-vegetable-farms-webinar#.VN4ICebF98E...
kimmq
Caterpillars - removing them the humane way
I have a small organic garden plot in my backyard (which...
kapha
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow organic vegetables in coco coir and are looking...
little sur farm
opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?
i can't seem to get any information on them. Really...
rathdrumid
Walking Down Memory Lane
I just clicked on the 'Sustaining Our Environment'...
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™