organic in stores?

plantknitter(8)April 14, 2010

Is there another forum discussing things organic in grocery stores where this would be more appropriate?

I know this forum is about organic gardening, but thought most folks would also be buying organic.

So here's my concern:

My local store has suddenly shown up with a label called 'Natural Directions Organic' for almost everything. And many of the usual organic brands seem to be disappearing.

I can't seem to find out who, what or where this company is.

Wondering where their products come from etc.

Anyone have any info or thoughts?

Is this just another big business getting in on the little guys?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Took me 2.1 seconds to do The Google to get their home page, .6 seconds more to click on their 'contact us' link.

Dan

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 5:20PM
borderbarb

Do a google search on key words 'natural directions organics' and you will find many hits to read through.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 5:21PM
plantknitter(8)

I've done both of those things and none of it has given me the info I want.

Who owns them? and who owns that company?
Where are they located, where do they get their products, when did they start business? etc.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 7:02PM

Who owns them? Where are they located...etc.

If you won't read their website or ask them yourself, find the answers to the questions by scrolling down the results page when you Google. As Barb said.

Dan

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 7:28PM
borderbarb

...snip...LOS ANGELES, May 20, 2008 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Unified Grocers introduces Natural Directions(r), a new line of natural and organic food products that will be sold in independent grocery stores throughout the western United States. With an initial launch of 120 dry grocery, refrigerated and frozen items, the Natural Directions product line will make healthier, earth-friendly food choices more accessible and affordable to consumers."
========

The entire news release linked below has some interesting data bytes. "Natural Directions supports the small organic farms and producers who are the backbone of the organic movement." ... "its organic farmers and producers are united in their commitment to reducing the use of pesticides and additives in the food supply" REDUCING use of pesticides? HOW SPECIAL. I think that the standard organic OK requires that NO pesticides be used.

Here is a link that might be useful: United Grocers starts Natural Directions Organic

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:00PM

I think that the standard organic OK requires that NO pesticides be used.

No. How would you control, say, apple scab without a pesticide? Powdery mildew? Peach leaf curl?

Dan

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:34PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Dan is right. There is a long list of pesticides that are approved for use in certified agriculture of all kinds. Many have been mentioned here several times. But the commercial organic growers have access to a bunch of approved products.

Here's a link to Unified Grocers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 5:45AM
chriscollins(z6 Pgh, PA)

And even if they were growing pesticide free, it's not like they're the only potential source of such in the food supply.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 11:09AM
plantknitter(8)

Thanks for the links, once I started searching for *private label* organics I came up with a lot of info.
The WSJ article mentions how reluctantly the small producers have had to go along with it-- in effect competing with themselves.
the WallMart article is downright scary!--affecting products not just in their stores.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
How to get rid of yellow jackets
We have a large nest of yellow jackets in the ground...
annafl
Bone meal....make your own?
Hey, I hate throwing stuff away, even bones, so I was...
idogcow
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
Papaya Trees
I'm getting ready to plant a few papaya trees in my...
janellelee
Re aphids - don't ants eat aphids?
I found what I think are aphids on my Salvia. Only...
ellenr22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™