paphiopedalum bloom falling off

jayess99(10b)February 6, 2012

I have a paph,1 yr old, finally developed a bloom spike, got the head half developed, now the top 2-3 inches of the stalk is turning brown and the flower head is brown (the inside growth). What happened? Is there anything I can do to salvage it? thanks for your help. js

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob8_gw

Sorry, there is nothing you can do to save the flower at this point. Did you move the plant from one location to another? Change the amount of sun it received? When is the last time you repotted it? Is it growing inside or out? I would gentle pull it out of the pot and see if it has a good root system. If it does I would guess, possible lack of enough water. If the roots are rotted, then it still isn't getting enough water as there are no roots to pull up the water into the flower. Just my thought.

Hope it helps
Bob in Albany, N.Y.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 3:09PM
jayess99(10b)

I'm in SW florida, paph is outside in the shade, haven't moved it except to bring it inside when the temp dropped, haven't repotted it in a year. I'll take a look at the roots. This is the 1st time I've kept a paph alive this long, expected great things, what a bummer. It got down in the 50's a couple nights, could that have done it? Colder than that, it was inside. I need to read up on paphs, but I watered it when it got almost dry, fertilized it about 1x/month. Anyway, thanks. If you think of anything else, let me know.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 3:55PM
bob8_gw

Please let us know how the roots are. I grow lots of paphs. in a greenhouse up north. I let the temp. fall to 55 at night for about a month and then I bring it up to 60 degrees as a min. The reason I let it fall to 55 for a month is to jump start the nobile dendrobiums into blooming. I really don't think you went too low with the temp.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
Orchid IDs?
I got a few orchids within the months from places like...
fuzzballiscute
How to repot Prosthechea radiata cochleata?
I purchased this plant (with the little shell-like...
meri10
Orchid forum link
Hi Bob, This is the link you sent me. I hope it works. Thank...
tanie51
First Orchid!
Just bought my first orchid - a den-phal! I had never...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™