Organic cantaloupe pesticide

bob411April 26, 2006

I looked at the FAQs and saw pesticides, for "soft" bugs. Is there something that will get rid of"I don't know what they are called, they are small, black, and love melons".

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squeeze(z8 BC)

:) you need to get a better handle on what they are to figure out how to get rid of them, try a google for cantaloupe pests and once you've identified the critter it'll be easier to find a cure - organics isn't about 'broad spectrum cures', but about creating the right conditions for the crop

Bill

Bookmark   April 26, 2006 at 8:08PM
username_5(banned for no reason)

Agreed, you MUST identify the specific pest and then do some research on the various control measures. In many cases you can find studies online that compare the effectiveness of various approaches. Also critical is the timing of the application. With many pests you can go nuclear on them and if the timing is wrong, your crop still gets damaged.

Bookmark   April 26, 2006 at 10:13PM
bob411

Thank you for the suggestion to google. I didn't have any luck. They are the same bugs that are attracted to beer. So I googled beer bug, and found a picture of one, but I still don't know the bug's real name. For Japanese beetles, the FAQ suggests a concoction to attract the beetles. Should I try putting out little cups of beer, or would that just attract more?

Bob

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 5:53AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Take one, or more, of the insects sealed inside a plastic bag to your local USDA Cooperative Extension Service office for proper Identification. Once you know which insect your have then you can properly formulate a plan to protect you melons from them.
Floating row covers offer a lot of protection from numerous insects for members of the cucurbit family, melons, cucumbers, squash, etc. but you will need to remove, or raise, them for pollination to occur.

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 6:49AM
vgkg(Z-7)

Bob, can you post that bug's picture here or post the URL link? That would be a big help in IDing the critter. Squash bugs (below) are the only pest that's attracted to my melons.

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 7:33AM
ohiorganic(5/6 SW Ohio)

I use row covers to exclude pests from my melons until the start to produce flowers. Than I remove the covers so the pollinators can get to them and pollinate the flowers.

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Clear differences between organic and non-organic food, study fin
"Clear differences between organic and non-organic...
henry_kuska
Espoma Organic Tomato Tone - Truly Organic ?
Can anyone tell me if Espoma Organic Tomato Tone is...
Marshallkey
How to get rid of Moles/Voles in my Garden ???
Help !!! They are driving me nuts. I want some of my...
Natilie70
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Landscape fabric - safe for organic garden?
I'm planning on building wooden boxes, a la Square...
tooticky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™