What insect came from this egg case?

terrysal(7b Denton, TX)April 29, 2009

I came across this leaf with an egg casing on it. Does anyone know what it is?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anney(Georgia 8)

Good heavens! It looks like an egg-casing for a tiny wasp that the insects have emerged from, but who knows what they are. Those holes are empty, right? The egg case on the top right of this page looks a bit similar, though the author doesn't identify it.

I recognize what appears to be mint plants of some kind but what kind of leaf is that? A variety of oak? (Maybe there's an insect that lays its eggs on that particular kind of leaf.)

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 7:36AM
terrysal(7b Denton, TX)

The leaf is oak and the plant is mint. Yes, the holes are empty. It was an interesting find and thought I'd look to see if anyone knew what it was.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:29AM
anney(Georgia 8)

I suspect the egg case is from one of many many varieties of oak gall wasps, pretty harmless critters. Every region has its own variety of them!

It's a great clear picture, BTW, and you could always send it to "What's that Bug?" or bugguide.net and ask for ID there if nobody here knows what it is.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:48AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Doesn't look gall-y to me, as they are usu not so regular, but ento. is not my strong suit.

Your Extension Agency should have an entomologist on staff or on call. That piccie should be sufficient for ID.

Dan

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 10:51AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

anney,

Th egg cases you linked to are from stink bugs. Quite different thatn what's on the oak leaf because the image shows individual (empty) egg cases.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 10:35PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

terry, do you still have this 'thing' in your possession? I'd like to see a picture of it removed from the leaf.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 3:37PM
terrysal(7b Denton, TX)

Hi. Here is a link to some picture I took of the egg casing off of the leaf. The casing is ribbed and is no bigger than the tip of a pencil. The egg casing was attached to the underside rib of the oak leaf.

This is just a curiosity on my part but I would like to know what is going on out there in the insect world in the garden.

I appreciate all of y'all's time and effort in getting this identified!

Here is a link that might be useful: Egg Casing

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 4:38PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Hmm. Appears as if it's part of the leaf. Then I'd stick with the suggestion it's a gall.

That said, I wasn't able to locate such a gall via an online search.

Are you able to take it to your county's Extension Service office? If not, I suspect they'll accept mailed samples -- put it in small box so it remains intact.

Request an ID by the entomologist. Even if none is in the office, they can send the sample to the University.

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 3:39AM
More Discussions
opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?
i can't seem to get any information on them. Really...
rathdrumid
Got tomatoes?
The organic Earthbox tomatoes have been coming in nicely...
MrClint
Seed meal for soil microorganism control
This article I about seed meal use in orchards but...
Michael
Landscape fabric - safe for organic garden?
I'm planning on building wooden boxes, a la Square...
tooticky
Flowers and neonictinoids
I am in the Burbank California area. I have a small...
ltlredwagon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™