Clear pots and coconut coir

fxxyFebruary 26, 2010

Have heard as a suggestion that clear pots are good because the roots are always visible. Just wondering how the exposure affects the roots. Also where are these available.

Just discovered while working in my cellar, where anything is possible, a bunch of coconut fiber(probably from Ann Mann) Thst I have had for probably 10-15 years. As I remember, it was a real problem to get it wet. Anybody using this potting material???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quicksilver(z6bMA)

I like clear pots. I am of the impression that orchid roots being exposed to sunlight is a good thing. I get my pots from Kelly's Korner in Maine.

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 8:22PM
dark_moon(6)

coco fiber is is great for somw orchids but not all. but i would mix it in with other things like perlite, orchid bark, finely chopped moss ect... not just strait coco fiber.

Bookmark   February 26, 2010 at 8:51PM
highjack(z6 KY)

What kind of coir? Is it the string fiber, ground up to look like peat or chunky like bark?

I've got terrestrials planted in ground coir/perlite and use the chunk coir on some Phals and some of my smaller rooted Catts.

Coir needs to be soaked to remove potential salt problems. According to my TDS meter, it takes three times to remove it.

Brooke

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 6:50AM
ron_tacoma

I grow in semi-hydro and used the clear 32oz deli containers that I buy at cash and carry. $7 for a stick of 50.
With the clear plastic I do get an algae build up. It won't hurt anything it just looks ugly. When it gets to heavy it is time to repot and put clean pellets in a new pot. The pots are so cheap it is not even worth my time to wash them. I just throw them in the recycle bin. The ceramic pellets go in a wash bucket with bleach. When the bucket is full they get washed

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 7:02PM
bullsie

I grow all but my Tolumnias in clear plastic pots (I grow a variety of species, Catts/hybrids, Cymbidiums, Phrags). The s/h containers I obtain from Ray's, and regular clear pots from Kellys in Maine (as noted earlier!). My Tolumnias I grow in clay pots.

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
V. Kriangkrai yellow
Hi these is the first V. Kriangkrai yellow i have....
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
Why are my phal orchid bloom so late in the season?
I have 8-9 pots of phal orchid, they all have flower...
Sara_in_philly
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™